Direct Superior Approach Hip Replacement SurgeryMonday, January 19th, 2015, 5:27 pm
As new technologies are introduced to the marketplace, hip replacement surgery is becoming a viable option for an increasing number of patients. As a result of these new technologies, The Orthopaedic Institute of Southern Illinois is excited to offer the latest in total hip replacement surgery using the direct superior approach.
What is a direct superior approach?
The surgeon is able to perform the entire hip replacement through one small incision in the hip, leaving muscles and tendons undamaged and the hip’s natural alignment intact.
Benefits to patient:
- Less muscle/tendon damage
- Reduced hip precautions after surgery
- Reduced hospital stay
- Lower dislocation rate
- Reduced pain after surgery
- Reduced level of pain medication required
- Patients discharged from the hospital as early as post-op day one.
- Many patients are able to control pain with over-the-counter pain medication shortly after surgery.
- Reduced blood loss (compared to traditional hip replacement)
- Smaller surgical incision
- Lower complication rates
- Leg remains in a more natural position during surgery (less twisting of the extremity)
For more information about the Direct Superior Approach contact the Orthopaedic Institute of Southern Illinois at 618-997-6800
Tags: hip replacement
Category: What's New